Old October 31st 09, 04:08 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,alt.politics
David Spain

Default ...Ares1-X FAILURE...N KOREA Offers NASA Technical Advice~

Jeff Findley wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Yes, though not actually seen it, I suspect the following is more
truthful..

First test launch of Ares.
Low speed stabilisation needs better algorithm to stop drift and rotation
immediately after launch
Upper stage should be released in a different way to stop spasmodic
afterburning of booster from creating a collision with upper stage

As was pointed out elsewhere (in a different thread?) none of the NASA
animations I have seen of what was expected had the upper stage in rotation.
Would it be correct to assume that rotation was induced by the collision with
the lower stage?

Would ignition of the J2-X on the upper stage be enough to guarantee clearance
from the lower solid stage regardless of 'spasmodic afterburning?' Maybe release
the upper stage a little sooner before the solid stage attains burn-out?

More work on parachute reliability after burn out and clearance of upper
stages needed.

Now maybe all of these things are pretty simple to fix, I don't know, but
surely this means another launch to test they have been fixed?

The next flight, Ares I-Y, is scheduled for March 2014. We'll be waiting
quite a long time and pouring billions of dollars into this program before
we have any real indication that progress is being made. Ares I-X didn't
instill any confidence in the design because it's not representative of
flight hardware.

What is supposed to be the configuration for Ares 1-Y? Full operative
upper stage and Orion capsule? What are the mission goals? Are they expecting
a full-up orbital mission with automated capsule recovery?

Dave