Old November 4th 14, 10:53 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Barry Schwarz[_2_]

Default Full Moon Locations ?

On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 14:30:58 -0500, Bob wrote:

Hello,

From my location, I see the New "Full Moon" at roughly ESE.

Unless you are talking about the exact instant when the full moon
occurs, you should see it all night long as it rises roughly in the
east and sets in the west.

The moon stays fairly close to the ecliptic. The full moon is on the
opposite side of the Earth from the sun and therefore appears higher
in the sky during winter and lower during summer. You don't say where
you are but since the sun is currently south of the equator the moon
should be rising in the ENE and setting in the WNW.

New at this, so please put up with a dumb question:

Will the Full Moon" ever appear at other compass points for me ?

When the full moon crosses your local meridian, it should appear
directly north of you, south of you, or overhead, depending on your
latitude and the time of year.

e.g., will it ever be in an orientation of say due N or W from Me ?

Full moons that occur near the equinoxes will appear to rise in the
east and set in the west. If you are located below the tropic of
cancer, at least one full moon per year will appear directly north of
you when it crosses you local meridian.

Couldn't find a good link that clearly shows this.
Suggestion for ?

Try googling "direction of moon rise".

--
Remove del for email