Old January 15th 05, 11:38 PM
RichA

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:19:34 -0000, "John Carruthers"
wrote:

To cause ripples in what sure looks like liquid

then image it.
-Rich

There was a penetrometer, first results look like a "creme brulee"
consistency, a thin crust over something more squidgy (soft sand/clay
consistency?).

I have no idea of the physical dynamics of liquified methane, I don't
even know if it behaves like water because the only sub-freezing
liquids I've seen are exposed to our tempertures and react violently.
But, the look of the photographs, the darkening of the small rocks/ice
below the large ones seems to indicate they are immersed in something.
Is it possible that the "liquid" is frozen slightly on top (like a
lake in early winter) and that the sub-frozen surface "liquid" is of
a consistency greater than that of water, like a "slushy" state?
-Rich