Old January 4th 05, 12:26 AM
Mary Pegg

Jeff Findley wrote:

"Mary Pegg" wrote in message
news
There's a lesson, but it's a lesson in economics. It's cheaper to
have two than four. On the other hand, a 747 with two engines out
will get there, a 777 with two engines out is a glider. Hence the
ETOPS (Extended Twin OPerationS) regulations which apply to both
the aircraft type *and* the operator.

Compare a 747 with 1/2 its engines out to a 777 with 1/2 of its engines
out. For lots of fun, try a 747 with both of the left engines out and see
how it flies and lands.

If you pay for the sim time, I'd love to.

From an old pprune thread archived he

http://www.geocities.com/profemery/aviation/ferry.html

''I had a flight engineer once in the Air Force. Typical cigar smoking,
beer drinking, big handed kind of guy. When he heard I was leaving to
fly ETOPS airplanes he said "Sir, you know why I only ever fly four
engined airplanes over water? "No, Chief, tell me" I said. "CAUSE THEY
DON'T MAKE EM WITH FIVE!" ''

--
Nothing to be done.