Old January 21st 04, 05:49 AM
Dan Foster

Default The Death of Hubble...When Will it Come?

In article , Jorge R. Frank wrote:
"Kent Betts" wrote in
:

"Ed" wrote in message
The orbit will decay enough to reenter
probably in 2011 or 2012.

Yeah these look like good numbers....the latest date possible seems to be
2013.

With nice fat error bars around them... there's a solar max around 2013, if
I'm not mistaken.

Actually, the next Solar Max should be around 2011 or possibly early 2012
since they run in a ~11 year cycle and last one was in 2000; the peak was
around mid-2000.

http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/istp/outreach/solarmax/
http://www.solcomhouse.com/solarmax.htm

I visited Alaska throughout the last Solar Max period, and *WOW*, the
auroras were unreal! So I'm recommending to everyone who will put up with
the fact that I rave so much about Alaska, that the best time to go and see
Alaska will likely be in mid to late fall 2011. September is a bit too much
daylight... but by early October is real good.

On recent visits, I noted the auroras were a little muted compared to
during the Solar Max. Still enjoyable and the occasional bright ones but on
the whole, just somewhat 'off'. I'm thinking of skipping Alaska visits in
2005-2007, if such sacrilegious thoughts can be endured.

(I personally like visiting Alaska in middle of winter on any given year
but that's way too brutal for most folks I know, so I only recommend they
visit when it gets dark enough to see auroras -- fall is it, and around
Fairbanks area at ~65 deg N latitude or points north.)

-Dan