Old October 10th 20, 11:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

Default SN8 steel type

On Saturday or thereabouts, Snidely asked ...
After serious thinking JF Mezei wrote :
A couple of questions about various prototypes at Boca Chica.

SpaceX built two Sn7s with the new steel aloy to be destructively tested.

has SpaceX specified whether SN8 (which got chilled with liquid nitrogen
tonight) was built with the new steel alow, or still the old one ?

It was announced after SN7 that SN8 would be the new alloy. This quote, from
August 6, is from after the announcement:
"According to NASASpaceflight.com info, Starship SN8 – also the first
full-scale prototype to be built out of a different steel alloy – will be the
first ship to receive functional flaps and a nosecone. "
URL:https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starship-sn8-elon-musk-next-steps/

An update -- in the first Snate cryo stream, the Nasa SpaceFlight
reporters indicated that SN8 is a hybrid, per Elon's msgs [tweets?].

URL:https://youtu.be/eLe7Fa1iKf8?t=2377

You can probably search Elon's tweet history if you want to check
further.

/dps

--
"What do you think of my cart, Miss Morland? A neat one, is not it?
Well hung: curricle-hung in fact. Come sit by me and we'll test the