Old May 20th 04, 12:12 PM
Mike Murphy

On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:38:10 +0100, Martin Frey
wrote:

At 9.50 last night an exceptionally bright satellite went practically
over my zenith - Starry Night says it was the ISS - but I've never
seen it so bright - blazing through cloud that Vega couldn't begin to
penetrate.

I went out to spot it because, although I've seen the ISS many times,
it was a very early time in the evening that was predicted.

The print out that I was working to was some days old and the ISS was
late but I persisted and then suddenly saw it aout of the corner of my
eye and it was very, very bright never seen it so bright. It had the
right motion for the ISS so I'm sure that it wasn't an Iridium flare.

It was so bright that I expected people walking outside in the warm
evening air to proclaim, "What the ****'s that?" but despite there
being many evening strollers about nobody did. I guess people don't
look up much.

- Mike