Old January 21st 20, 01:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX Dragon 2 In Flight Abort Test

In article ,
says...

On 2020-01-19 10:48, Jeff Findley wrote:

smoothly. Four good main parachutes fully deployed before splashdown.

The commentary mentioned that the main chutes would be progressiveley
opened (or terminology akin to this).

Does this mean that it isn't just a big rope between parachute and
capsule and there are control cables inside that big rope that can
control opening of the parachutes and evidently some mechanisms on the
capsule to pull/release those control cables?

Or what sort of mechanism would be used to allow controlled opening of
the chutes once the drogues have pulled them up?

They are "reefed". You can try Googling "parachute reefing". You'll
find links like this:

https://space.stackexchange.com/ques...oes-a-landing-
spacecraft-control-main-parachute-inflation

Always though this was just done bliudnly by design with no control over
them.

The reefing mechanism is controlled by the capsule. They mains remain
reffed until the spacecraft slows enough to fully open the mains.

Dopes this mean the capsule has some steering control too ?

Nope. As far as I know, when they're unreefed, it's a one time
operation. On the link I gave above, grep for "Active methods".

Jeff