Old May 12th 08, 05:10 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

Default LBJ and space travel

wrote:
I remember reading that LBJ said that, once we'd landed on the moon,
the USA could get to work on domestic problems. The clear
implication appeared to be that space travel wasn't necessary or
desired.

The question is: did I imagine that? If I did not, can someone point
me to where I can find the exact context and quote?

Found something similar; it was in a 1966 State Department memo:

“If we can de-emphasize or stretch out additional costly programs aimed
at the moon and beyond, resources may to some extent be released for
other objectives which might serve more immediate, higher priority
interests.”