Old July 27th 03, 05:25 PM
J. Scott Miller

Default A dialogue between Mr. Big BANG and Mr. Steady STATE

I am not sure if it is a language thing or what, but during your "dialogue" you
seemed to switch gears, especially during the discussion of the image of the
great grand father (grand grand father in your discussion) - suddenly a picture
of a 50 year old man taken 40 years ago implied the man was 10 in the
photograph, the photograph of a 50 year-old man. But, my initial response to
Mr. Steady State in regards to his misinterpretation of images made of distant
galaxies and their surrounding clusters would be that if the object was 8
billion lightyears away, then the light we gather is of that galaxy 8 billion
years ago. Today, it, along with the rest of the universe might be 13.5 to 13.7
billion years, but we are looking into the past the father we look away so the
light we gather is that emitted in the past, not today.

The same is true of the photograph. It is a photograph of a 50 year old man. I
find it 40 years later. If the old man is still alive, he would be 90 today.
That photograph, just like the light we receive from a distant galaxy, preserves
the impression of the time it came into existence. It can only tell us the
conditions of that time, not the present. So, just like the photograph tells us
the condition of the old man back 40 years ago, the light we receive tells us
the conditions of that galaxy as it was 8 billion years ago. It, and the
universe, have aged and changed in that succeeding time, but we won't know how
that change effects appearance of that galaxy for another 8 billion years when
the light emitted today has the time to finally reach us (actually, in an
expanding, and even potentially accelerating, expanding universe, it might take
a bit longer, but the point is the same).