Old September 3rd 15, 03:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default Science and the battle against the Dark Ages

I warmly approve of the message of that speech.

However, while we need to be mindful of the value of our treasure of knowledge...
falling into a dark age is perhaps one of the lesser threats we face. ISIS is not
in a position to do that to the world as a whole.

Of course, the fact that we're not doing anything much about global warming
could mean that in a few decades there will be a revulsion against science
should catastrophic consequences ensue. This is a classic sci-fi rationale for
a dark age breaking out. And it's so unnecessary; we don't have fusion, but we
do know how to build breeder reactors. Even Thorium breeders - which can 'burn
the rocks' if need be - are only an engineering problem today.

Why am I not too afraid of a dark age? Because we're protected against it today
for the same reason that Europe, rather than other parts of the world, was the
place where the Industrial Revolution originated. Not because of bigger brains
in the White Race - but for the geographical reasons noted in "Guns, Germs, and
Steel".

Rulers tend to be afraid of technical change, as it may upset the status quo in
which they are in power. So they tend to restrict it everywhere - China being
the classic example, but it is far from unique.

Europe's mountain ranges ensured there were several competing polities - which
meant rulers had to tolerate technological progress, in order to be able to
keep up militarily with their neighbors.

Nuclear weapons in several hands mean the same thing for the world today.

John Savard