Old December 14th 14, 04:20 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jan Philips[_2_]

Default Explorer 1 question

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 16:40:17 -0800 (PST), David Spain
wrote:

I am convinced that this light is issuing from the rocket and is not a reflection. ...

That is what I thought at first, but later I convinced myself that it
was a reflection of the protusions. But, as you pointed out, only one
is visible in the film, and it is pretty bright.

There is a pole that runs up the side for telemetry or something that
falls off right before lift off - could it have something to do with
that?