Old August 25th 14, 06:48 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley[_4_]

Default Dream Chaser, any chance of this actually being flown?

In article , says...

I think anyone who is not an astronaut by first choice might appreciate not
being landed in a tin can in the see or the middle of nowhere as the
Russians do.
Having heard a recording of a Soyuz re-entry it seems to be quite a ride,
with lots of bangs thuds buffeting, and other noises and quite a large
amount of g's, and the rather undignified roll over after the landing
rockets fire.

Somewhat true, at least for the final touchdown. But, Dragon V2 solves
the final touchdown problem by soft landing the capsule on landing gear
via rocket propulsion (Super Draco engines). The only commercial crew
design which uses parachutes and air bags for touch-down (or splash-
down) is Boeing's CST-100 capsule.

If given the choice between a gliding landing on a runway in a lifting
body or propulsive vertical landing, I'd personally choose the vertical
landing. But I'm not the NASA Astronaut Office who's been landing
gliders for decades, so they may have another preference.

Jeff