Old October 21st 12, 06:59 AM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain

Default If I travel to a star 10 light years away and install a giantmirror

On 10/11/2012 11:49 AM, David Spain wrote:
On 9/15/2012 10:59 PM, Bigchunk83 wrote:
Then come back to earth and look into the mirror. What would I see?

If you could make the trips instantaneously, you'd see precisely what was happening at the moment you left to head back, 10 years
previously.

I always though the idea of interstellar travel would be very interesting if you could use a 'teleporter' like device.

Sure you have to wait the centuries until the "transceiver" arrives at its distant destination, but once activated, you'd step into
the teleporter on Earth and presto! you arrive at your destination at what seems to you to be instantaneously because your
"teleporter signal" propagated through space at the speed of light.

Here is one way you could 'postulate' how such a system would work. And it sort of dovetails nicely with the mirror analogy. After
centuries of elapsed time, the 'home' portal begins to receive the signal back from the "transceiver". What you see is a projection
of the 'remote' portal 10 years in the past. It might appear to be a picture of a room similar or nearly identical in appearance to
the 'home' portal. A traveler would start the journey by stepping into the 'transmitter' which might mean simply walking towards the
projected room at the 'remote'. For those observing from the base station our traveler would 'dissolve' during his 'walk' and then
reappear in the projected room 10 years later w/o even so much as a 5 o'clock shadow! A person at the 'receiving' end would not see
anything unusual at all!! Just a person walking from one room into another!

Dave