Old October 31st 10, 05:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default A wikipedia detour

On Oct 31, 12:22*am, oriel36 wrote:
the
astronomical observation that a rotating celestial body with a viscous
composition displays differential rotation hence the highest
probability for the mechanism linking the Earth's spherical deviation
and plate tectonics is one that is already observed in exposed fluid
celestial compositions in rotation.

The molten rock in the Earth's interior is orders of magnitude more
viscous than the atmosphere of Jupiter or the Sun. The "differential
rotation" seen on Jupiter and the Sun has the same cause as the trade
winds on Earth - the interaction between convection and rotation.

Observations of the heavenly bodies are not enough by themselves. To
obtain understanding, we need to relate what we see to its underlying
physical cause. You're proposing we throw this out of astronomy - to
make astronomy, basically, pre-scientific. No, you won't find any
takers.

John Savard