Old September 4th 08, 11:29 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Martha Adams

Default Shuttle program extension?

"Brian Thorn" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 20:36:28 GMT, (Derek Lyons)
wrote:

Schedule pressure on a single flight, or series of flights, is not the
same thing as a program being rushed.

How many flights does it take until the program is, in fact, rushed?

Brian

======================================

The idea of lifting off on a single one of those SRBs
came into focus for me when I saw a proposal described
here in sci.space.policy, for a three-ton weight on
springs (surely with friction dampers too) to absorb
and damp the vibration. *Three tons of dumb steel* on
a spacecraft? !!? Somebody is spinning like Road
Runner up a wrong tree, and no Wiley Coyote in sight.
It sounds to me like a severe fault in upper level
management.

I haven't heard yet why those SRBs vibrate longitudinally
in liftoff. Is the burning rate of the solid fuel too
pressure sensitive?

Titeotwawki -- mha [sci.space.policy 2008 Sep 04]