Old April 3rd 09, 05:55 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Patty Winter

Default help me identify objects seen last night?

In article ,
flyguy wrote:

[older text deleted]

I too have very dark skies within a half hours drive from home so I
should make an effort to see the tool bag. It should be fairly easy to
locate with the ISS ahead of it by a few minutes.

Let us know if you succeed! I haven't tried yet. I'm not sure it
would be possible at my house even with binoculars. Maybe next time
I visit my friends in the Gold Country.

I tried to see
'Suitsat' with no success. That's got to be the weirdest 'satellite' in
the history of man made earth orbiting objects.

Well, that and the tool bag. :-) Also, did you ever see the tethered
satellite that broke free from the shuttle in 1996? The tether was
about 12 miles long, making for a very strange sight moving across
the sky:

http://www.satobs.org/tss.html

Be sure to watch the video.

What was the first
identifiable satellite you ever saw? For me it was Echo-1A in the autumn
of 1960.

I, too, saw Echo I. I don't recall whether I saw anything before that.

BTW, Have you seen Hubble? I'm pretty sure I've seen it at least once.

Yeah, a few times. Haven't tried recently.

Patty