Old March 22nd 19, 01:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default SpaceX Destroys Tooling

Jeff Findley wrote on Fri, 22 Mar 2019
06:25:55 -0400:

In article m,
says...

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019, Fred J. McCall wrote:

I've seen from several sources that SpaceX has apparently junked all
their fabrication tools for composite structures (at a cost of tens of
millions of dollars). Apparently betting the ranch on the new steel
construction plan with no future path to switch to composites.

Why didn't they just mothball the composite tools?

See my other post. No plans to use the tooling and storage costs are
non-zero. The entire Port of L.A. loction they were renting is being
abandoned. Starship and Super Booster will be built at Boca Chica and
KSC.

Part of the reason for building it at the Port was concern about
trying to move such large articles to the launch site. How have they
solved that? Any way they could get a license to let the things fly
from Texas to Florida under their own power?

--George Bernard Shaw