Old October 11th 16, 05:42 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)[_2_]

Default Number of Stars per Co Moving Unit Volume?

In article ,
writes:

I entered numbers into Ned Wright's calculator to find Co Moving
volumes (and radii) for the universe at different z values, in 1Gyr
increments back to 13 Gyrs in the past. I got the following values
using the default settings and "General" button, (which I think
includes the acceleration to the expansion of the universe due to
Dark Energy):

If there are about 100E9 stars per galaxy and 100E9 galaxies in
universe, do I essentially have

1.0E22 stars per 2997 Gpc^3?

ie, rho_stars ~ 3.34E18 stars / Gpc co moving volume?

Sounds about right.

So that for each co moving volume above, I can multiply by this
value to get the number of stars within each co moving volume?

Roughly, to get the number in such a volume now. Of course, as the
universe expands, matter is conserved, so a given volume has, to zeroth
order, the same number of stars as the universe expands; they just move
farther apart. Of course, galaxies form, stars form, so it is more
complicated.