Old February 10th 04, 03:28 PM
Scott Lowther

Default Atlas SRBs

Pat Flannery wrote:

Yeah, but this thing is very small compared to the Atlas; it's a little
over 3 feet in diameter by about 30 feet long; and it seems to me that
any material capable of taking the internal pressure of the burning fuel
would be able to take the stress of freefall,

While I don't know the Castor cases specifically... It's a
counter-intuitive fact that lightweight modern composite cases 9which
I'd assuem these are) are astonishingly fragile. I've seen soem
fiberwoudn tanks that are meant for 2000 psi, internally... that you
could smash with a girlie punch.

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam