Old November 19th 17, 02:49 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Were liquid boosters on Shuttle ever realistic?

In article ,
says...

William Mook wrote:

The orbiter, with flyback LRB boosters, and a flyback External Tank would have reduced the cost of each launch from $500 million to $20 million or so - and investment in reducing the standing army of government employees PER LAUNCH by automating the launch procedures - would cut even that figure.

Poppycock!

snip MookSpew

No kidding. Refurbishing the orbiter (which included the SSMEs) and
configuring it for its next flight literally took months, which
translated into a hell of a lot of money. No way in hell you'd ever get
the cost of refurbishment of the orbiter low enough that a flight would
cost $20 million.

Jeff