Old May 8th 08, 01:02 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,alt.talk.weather,sci.military.naval,alt.global-warming
jonathan[_3_]

Default ... OIL has Doubled in One Year! $120 bbl While NASA Dreams of Moon Rocks!

"Totorkon" wrote in message

A 5Gw SPS would have a mass close to 100X the ISS. If its cost were
scaled by the same measure, the price tag would exceed twelve trillion
dollars.

I think the idea is to only build technology demonstrators. To get to the point
where the commercial sector can take over once NASA has shown SSP
can work and be competitive.

Thank you for the reference to sert. The proposal for a couple of
100Kw solar powered hall thrusters seems like a good way to develope
practical competitive space solar collectors which could well serve
science and give practical experience in the type of challenges SPSs
will have to deal with.

Increasing the number of robotic expeditions in the 10-20 ton range is
a practical way to develope the lower cost launch systems that are
necessary to even contemplate an SPS project.

One point that should be made is this. When we create relatively 'small'
goals, we're left with nothing in the end as with Apollo and now ISS.
Ya we got there, and built the thing, but didn't create in the process
the kind of comprehensive space infrastructure to really open up space
to commercial use.

A /large ambitious/ goal such as SSP would require /as prerequisites/ all kinds
of basic infrastructure, such as space ports and low cost to orbit advances
as well as all kinds of other technology breakthroughs. Maybe using
laser transmission instead of microwave and so on. Even is SSP failed
in the end, and was beat out by other ideas, we would still be left with
what we need to commercialize and truly exploit space.

A small goal also inspires little public support, and ends up getting the
bare minimum funding with all the compromises that go along with
ever diminishing public support as the program goes on.

A large, visionary goal, where the public can easily see the tangible benefits
down the road can inspire and create a program that gets more and more
support as time goes on.

As the goal becomes larger and grander, the chance of success grows
along with it.

Our dependence on fossil fuels, and global warming, are perhaps the
two greatest threats to the future of this planet, not to mention our
way of life. The future needs to be rescued. And here we have
a ...single program...that could potentially be the solution to both.
Could potentially 'save the world'. Provided, of course, the nation
rallies behind it and gives it the priority and money it deserves.

Which in my opinion means a NASA budge an entire order of magnitude
larger than what is customary. If not more.

Only the 'Big Idea' that 'Saves the World' can accomplish all that.

I think SSP is that big idea, and I think the public would jump on board
in droves if all the potential benefits to America and the future are
fully expressed.

There are few problems in the world that would NOT benefit from a large
successful SSP program. Which means almost everyone would support it.
From the hawks to the doves, from big business and environmentalists all
would have a direct interest in it's success.

The idea is to come up with a goal with the broadest possible public support.
That is the path to success and to creating a better future.