Old November 27th 17, 09:06 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Libor 'Poutnik' Stříž

Default Apparent equality between Jovian esc. velocities and Sol's esc.

Dne 27/11/2017 v 07:41 stargene napsal(a):

Thanks, JT. You're not only right, but when I bothered to actually
check wiki's data on the Jupiter and Sol values, their "60.2 km/s" for
Jupiter's esc. vel. is correct but the esc. vel. for Sol at Jupiter's orbit
is 18.46 km/s, NOT their "60.4 km/s". Catch me trusting wikipedia as
an authority again. Embarrassing. We can cancel that door prize.
stargene

It is not their, but of the OP info he provided.
There are 2 columns in Wikipedia and he confused them.
60.4 is Sun-Jupiter system escape speed ( velocity is vector).
Sun escape speed at Jupiter orbit is displayed there correctly.

--
Poutnik ( The Pilgrim, Der Wanderer )

A wise man guards words he says,
as they say about him more,