Old September 3rd 11, 07:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Definitely an encode/decode problem

On 9/1/2011 7:23 PM, Skywise wrote:
wrote in news:NvS7q.44$4%.23
@newsfe18.ams2:

Yet, in my tests with really old software - my thumbnail viewer
dates back to 1999 or earlier - leads me to think the problem
is actually with Photoshop's encoding of the image.

I take that back. It's got to be in the decoding algorithm of
whatever is used to view the image.

I checked some of my own JPG's of varying sources, comparing them
to how they're displayed in Firefox. ALL of them display differently.

None show the stripes, but I think that may be because that
particular image just happens to have the right qualities to
evoke that. I've been reading a bit on how JPG works and the
stripes fit the 8x8 macroblock used in the compression scheme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jpg

Brian

Thanks for all the work. I did try my not quite so ancient but just as
dangerous IE6 and got the lines. Yes, downloading the file (rather than
just copying the image as I foolishly tried) does show they are fine on
all my viewing programs. So it is a Firefox/Thunderbird decode issue.
Problem is many use those programs so I still need to avoid the issue.
It appears Thunderbird uses the same faulty decode even when I insert
the image rather than attach it. That allows me to see the lines before
it is sent. I'll have to remember to do that (only works in email mode
not Usenet) after this. I'm still using older versions of both. I've
not tried the latest version 6. I stuck with 3 (which is still
supported but not for long they say) since a couple plug-ins I use don't
work in the newer ones.

Rick