Old January 27th 19, 06:57 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Watching Mercury today

The direct/retrograde motion of the other planets are simply a consequence that our planet and the rest orbit a stationary and central Sun to the solar system.

It is now a two stage historical process where the direct/retrogrades of the slower moving planets are a result of the faster moving Earth overtaking them while the direct/retrogrades of the faster moving planets are from an entirely different perspective.

In either case, the Earth's orbital motion is inclusive -

The relative speeds of our planet and the slower ones infer a central Sun by referencing their motions to the background stars where the slower planets temporarily fall behind in view as the Earth overtakes them -

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/011...2000_tezel.gif

The Earth's orbital motion is inclusive of the faster planets by its larger orbital circumference and the change in position of the stars from left to right of the Sun, this change is parallel to the orbital plane and minus stellar circumpolar motion -

https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data...current_c3.gif

Mercury is about to pass behind the Sun presently in its smaller circuit and in a few months will be seen to return moving in the opposite direction and faster than the change in position of the stars to the central Sun.

The view is already gaining acceptance and why wouldn't it !, it is enjoyable for those who can accept that these satellites can create artificial conditions that exist only at solar eclipses for observers on the surface of the Earth. Screening out the glare of the Sun and any effects of daily rotation, we can see the planets of the inner solar system run their circuits while the slower moving planets always travel in the direction of the background stars when they come into view -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L74B98ITKEA&t=266s

I don't object to others when they promote the proper view without attribution, I do mind when they present it in a half right/half wrong way. As people here are either immune to the differing perspectives or lack influence, I suppose it will have to exist here until someone else gets it right.