Old May 26th 04, 11:07 PM
Doug...

says...
While reading in the bathroom on Wed, 26 May 2004 14:26:25 -0500, I
saw that Pat Flannery had written:

All the late 1950's-early 1960's newsgroup crew...

What about us late '40s - early '50s folk?

I remember the *initial* broadcasts of Disney's Man in Space. Sputnik
and Echo 1 are clear memories. I remember the Cold War, "Duck and
Cover," Jodrell Bank pirating the Soviet lunar photos, and all the
rest.

And, watching Man in Space, I used to own *all* those models!

I wonder if any of the episodes of "Men Into Space" (the actual title)
survive? IIRC, they were done on film, since live video would have made
a lot of the effects more difficult. So you'd think some of the film
would survive.

I, for one, would LOVE to see someone put them all on DVD.

Can y'all remember the book they released based on the TV show? It was
a series of short stories, which didn't really have "novelizations" of
the TV episodes, but rather had short stories exploring various episodes
in Scott MacCauley's career. In that book, they specified the re-entry
technique used by the very first man in space. Can anyone remember what
it was? And where else it was said to have been attempted,
unsuccessfully?

Doug