Old September 29th 13, 08:37 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Trevor[_4_]

Default Meteor?

On 28/09/2013 23:21, Alastair McDonald wrote:
"Trevor" wrote in message
om...
Looking north from East Yorkshire there is an unusually bright
contrail-like feature. It would appear to be in the stratosphere - meteor?

Perhaps it was this! or a fragment of it.

OHIO FIREBALL: Last night, just before midnight on Sept. 27-28, sky watchers
in more than a dozen US states witnessed a bright flash of light. NASA
all-sky cameras recorded a brilliant fireball, which analysts believe was a
meter-class space rock exploding almost directly above Columbus, Ohio.
Images and more information about this event may be found on today's edition
of http://spaceweather.com.

Cheers, Alastair.

It was there from 7 pm to 9 pm and it was very white. I noticed the
following night that similar cirrus clouds looked dark by 7.15 so it
must have been stratospheric.

The timing isn't consistent with teh Ohio fireball as it would hav been
mid-afternoon in Ohio at the time I saw thisaccording to may calculations.