Old July 1st 03, 10:18 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default What If

What if we can't visualize how weak the moon's gravity is at 237,000
miles from earth?. We think the fact that it can pull the ocean water
from one side of the earth to the other makes it a very strong force. If
we balanced a feather on the edge of a table would the moon's gravity
make it fall? (no) If the feather was made from gold atoms would it
fall (no) How about doing this on the moon,and the answer would be (no)
even with earth's gravity being 6 times greater. Now if the sun had
3 times more mass,and it was compressed into a size that made it a
blackhole could the earth still orbit the sun at its present distance?
Bert