Old June 26th 03, 03:31 PM
BenignVanilla

Default What If

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
What if there are descriptions of how we see the universe that have to
be thought about? Like this one. When astronomers state that a galaxy
is,for example,8 billion LY from earth,is that how far the galaxy was
when it radiated its light towards the earth,or is that how far the
galaxy is now? The answer has to be neither. Astronomers
forget the universe is expanding,and it is safe for me to think that
that galaxy was say 6.5 billion light years away and space expansion
added that extra 1.5 billion miles. (kind of tricky) Bert

It may be worse then that Bert! If everything is zooming away from
everything, there could have been another .5 billion thrown by us traveling
away as well. In my mind, what we are observing is a snap shot of a time
period. So if a galaxy is 6.5 billion ly's away, then it was 6.5 ly's away
when that snap shot was taken. Does that make any sense?

BV.