Old March 15th 21, 02:17 PM posted to alt.astronomy
R Kym Horsell[_2_]

Default No Alien Contact ? - A very good Thing ! Some smart humans are trying.

wrote:
Sure it's of interest to keep listening for possible transmissions from deep space, BUT any hope of 2 way communications must be seen in the practical light of the vast distances which would absolutely prevent such exchanges. i.e. - " Hi ! " yaers later " Hi, who are you " years later " We're on Earth " years later ... etc.

There's a short SF story about this non-problem. I think it's one of IA's.

The punchline is the hero notices his mom talks to the lady next door
with both hanging over the fence and just yammering non-stop. There is no
question and answering going on at all.