Old January 7th 21, 11:04 PM posted to alt.astronomy
R Kym Horsell[_2_]

Default The hunt for alien life heats up in 2021

Andrew W wrote:
casag... wrote in message ...
Also keep in mind, something worth repeating. Intelligent space faring
species likely abound throughout the universe. If interstellar travel were
possible, then we'd be often visited by aliens. We are clearly not so it
isn't possible.

How do you know we haven't been visited? How do you know they're not here
now?

I like the analogy of (a normal person!) discussing their sex life
with a 2 yo child. Who would cross the road to do that?

As usual it's overwhealming hubris that avoids the obvious answers
as to why noone wants to talk to them.

--
[Hillbillies dont get the first thing about science:]

There is a consensus that A = B and B is true does not imply
anything on A.
-- Paul /D\ubrin , 08 Jul 2012 12:46:34 GMT

You have been stupid enough to write: "If a theory A predicts B and
we observe B then we have evidence the theory is true" and you are
telling me that pointing your error is some sophistry?
-- Paul /D\ubrin , 08 Jul 2012 18:36:01 GMT

[In contradiction to the above claims /D\ubrin often demands models
be validated -- obviously no point if predictions are irrelevant].

[Scientists seem to "get it":]

KenCaldeira @KenCaldeira 21 May 2020 23:28Z
Replying to @EDC_Farmer
The essence of science is prediction. Science progresses by rejecting
models that make bad predictions.
https://t.co/ASx86Ohgp1en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Popp...

Making successful predictions is the gold standard of science. If a
theory successfully predicts phenomena that are later observed, one
can be confident that the theory captures something essential about
the real world system.
-- Andrew Dessler, testimony to US Senate, 21 Jan 2014