Old July 2nd 20, 12:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Easy Ride to Sub Orbital Altitudes

On 2020-07-02 2:35 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 2:23:22 AM UTC+2, Scott Kozel wrote:

That is far short of outer space, which is commonly regarded as starting at 100
km or 62 miles.

It's also a extremely long way away from orbit, which is a matter of velocity not altitude.

Translation: this is another way of parting (rich) fools with their money. They'll get some nice photos, a pair of almost real-gold, almost-astronaut-wings, and a huge bill. And everyone in the real space industry will laugh at them behind their backs. Although some industry insiders might just laugh in their faces.

Regards
Frank

Scott: I'll grant you the numbers. Sub Orbital is my hype. I mean it
isn't false either, but it isn't space.

Frank:
If I am a billionaire I can follow that trip with one in a Starship,
that Elon wants to sell me. Still laughing? I don't know of any
billionaires that are fools. Kinda self-selecting.

I don't put too much stock in industry insiders. Most were telling me
only 15 years back that reusable rockets were a waste of time.

Dave