Old September 28th 16, 03:54 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Default Link between dark matter and baryonic matter

Dear wor...:

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 2:54:40 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hello!

I just read the work: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1609.05917v1.pdf
The authors conclusion: "The dark and baryonic mass
are strongly coupled."

Only now they have noticed this?

Actually there are papers at the same source, that agree that all Dark Matter could be normal, baryonic matter, but it creates the problem of evaluating "by some other means" the amount of matter near the rim, since luminosity drops off so quickly (due to dust, etc.).

Recall that "Dark" originated from establishing a mass / luminosity ratio at the center of a spiral galaxy. We have since found out what a special place that location is, as compared to elsewhere in a spiral's disc... no significant dust, stars without much in the way of a photosphere (due to tidal effects), and likely very few planets of any size.

Since we no longer rely on mass / luminosity, but can in most cases verify rotation curves with microlensing (at least locally), we no longer need to use failed methods.

Neither MOND nor exotic matter are *required*, nor do they show up in our own solar system. So we are NOT in a special place after all.

If we are into opinions here...

David A. Smith