Old December 20th 12, 08:54 AM posted to sci.space.history
Ken S. Tucker[_2_]

Default Santa Susana Rocketdyne is still a mess

David Lesher wrote:
A federal study shows hundreds of hot spots at the 2,850-acre
facility, overlooking the west San Fernando Valley, half a
century after a partial nuclear meltdown there.

By Louis Sahagun, Los Angeles Times

1:31 AM PST, December 17, 2012

Half a century after America's first partial nuclear meltdown,
hundreds of radioactive hot spots remain at a former research
facility overlooking the west San Fernando Valley, according to
a recently released federal study.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's $41-million survey of
the facility, now owned by Boeing Co. and NASA, is expected to
provide a precise map for state and federal agencies hoping to
clean up the site by 2017.

It also sets the stage for determining a final disposition for
the 2,850-acre site, which is home to rare plants, great horned
owls and four-point bucks.

That won't be easy. Environmentalists and Boeing officials are
already clashing over plans to transform the site near the Santa
Susana Mountains into public open space.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-meltdown-study-20121218,0,2007532.story

As I recall, this site was featured in an episode of I Spy, all those decades ago....

Stretching neurons to circa 1970, IIRC the SNAP melted down in the 60's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNAP-10A
May have been classified.
Ken