Old May 24th 07, 02:35 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Jonathan

Default ....Burt Rutan RIPS the "Vision" in recent speech... 05-06-07

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 May 2007 21:16:39 -0400, in a place far, far away,
"Jonathan" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

Aviation Visionary Burt Rutan on Inspiring Space Development
Sun, 05/06/2007 - 9:16am - LiftportEnergy

"I'd like to start off by saying...Houston we have a problem"

"We're entering a second generation of 'no progress' in terms
of manned space flight, in fact, we've regressed"

"We're going back to the moon...and very specifically planned
not to learn anything new. I'm really troubled by that"

....Burt Rutan

Video stream of his speech.

http://www.liftportenergy.com/?q=avi...n-inspiring-sp

ace-development

So?

What's your point?

Well...eh hum...it would be that the "Vision" is a bad policy
and why. Tom Hanks said pretty much the same thing.
Was does it take, doesn Werner Von Braun have to rise
from the dead and say it too?

It's bad policy, a bad idea, and it's been corrupted to boot.
We should be talking about how to change it, and to what.

But I guess in your old fashioned view of the world there's
really nothing we can do to stop the big corporations
and powerful politicians from doing whatever they want.
So I guess we should tag along, and not make a fuss.

The problem is that in the new world, with the internet the
way it is, holding onto a bad idea is very risky.
As these days, the better idea has a way.