Old April 26th 16, 09:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default Barnard 29 A hole in space-time?

Rick,

that's a well defined dark nebula, I'll have to put it on my list.

Stefan

"WA0CKY" schrieb im Newsbeitrag ...

Barnard 29 was described by Barnard as "Round; indefinite." It seems
quite definite in my image. It appears surrounded by a ring of brighter
material which fades away with a somewhat indefinite edge. Though I
doubt that is what Barnard was referring to. Could this brighter edge
be due to dust thickening before suddenly becoming opaque? Note some
very red stars at the very edge of this other type of "Black Hole." It
is considered a level 6 dark nebula, the highest opacity category. It
certainly is dark. While I stretched the image normally the core of the
cluster is nearly black rather than my usual 15 out of 256 levels. The
background of unresolved stars that give my background a low_light_level
is obscured by the dust creating the very black void. It really does
appear to be a hole in the sky as some early observers believed these
molecular clouds were. I couldn't find a distance for this nebula.

Rick

--
WA0CKY