Old January 30th 04, 07:08 PM
Alejandro Zuzek

Default Rover brains?

"Kevin Willoughby" escribió en
el mensaje ...
In article ,
says...
Uhh...i heard something about extensive use of JAVA.

I'm not quite sure of the extent of "extensive", but yes, Java (not all
upper-case, please) was one of the many, many tools used on MER.

I would be very surprised to know that the rover itself runs Java code. I
don't think Java meets the hard real time requirements of the rover
software. For instance, you absolutely need to know how much time each task
will need to complete, but in Java you can't predict when the garbage
collection will run, making the whole system unpredictable. I do now that
the OS is VxWorks, which was designed for RT systems and that C was used (at
least partially) in the flight software.

The Maestro software is written in Java. It is a simplified version of the
system the misson planners use to test the commands they will later send to
the rover and it is reasonable to asume that the full version is written in
Java too.