Old December 3rd 16, 08:21 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Default Land of Mt. Hood and the Source of the East Wind

On Friday, December 2, 2016 at 3:23:39 PM UTC-8, Herbert Glazier wrote:
On Friday, December 2, 2016 at 11:11:27 AM UTC-8, Double-A wrote:
Calm and cloudy here in Gresham. Ground is wet from earlier rains. 44F as of 10:45 AM PST here. More rain expected this afternoon and continuing though the weekend. Talk of snow is in the forecast! Of course, it's December.

I picked up one of the free newspapers when I got to the library yesterday. (They go fast!) Most people can't afford to subscribe anymore. An article talked about how many students in school around the greater Portland area are homeless! At Reynolds High School, less than 10 miles from here, about 10 percent of the students are homeless! Makes you wonder if they do a lot of sleeping at school, because that is the only warm place they have to go. The percentage of homeless students has been steadily increasing lately. Rising rents are forcing more and more families into the parks! My one rent will increase by $100 next month! My Social Security COLA will give me en increase of only $4.38!

Double-A

Sunny but very windy and cool.I was homeless at 14 and graduated high school.The war was on and it did not get me into trouble.I made $$$ and slept in a car when I was 15. It was the worse of times,and the best of times.Revere Beach saved me. TreBert

I think the problem here is that the politicians gave Intel and other high tech companies tax incentives (no property taxes) to move here, claiming it would bean more jobs. What happened was not more jobs for the locals, but the bringing up of lots of high paid Californians to fill the jobs. These new arrivals have crowded the locals out of their homes by driving up the prices of housing and rent. The only people who made money off of this was the developers, real estate agents, and existing landlords. For so many people it has been a disaster!

49F as of 12:15 PM PST here in Gresham. Sun shining though clouds as the rain has let up for a little while. Breeze out of the southwest at 7 mph.

Double-A