Old August 5th 09, 05:48 AM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

Default Speed of Saturn V at first staging?

Jud McCranie wrote:
I didn't know which way it was. I calculated 406 m/s for the Earth's
rotation at that latitude (28.5 degrees) and when I read the initial
speed off the graph, I got about 405. Interestingly, it drops for a
few seconds after liftoff.

Yeah I noticed that too. IIRC the Saturn V had the *lowest* delta V
figure at launch of any rocket ever produced by the US. I'd read somewhere it
was just barely positive post ignition. At the other end of the spectrum,
the short-range ABM Shrike(?) missile had the highest I believe.

So perhaps the curve takes into account the small amount time at which the
Saturn V is moving skyward slightly above a hover but is no longer physically
attached to the Earth's surface. Does anyone know in fact, if the Saturn V
experienced slew in the counter rotational direction (due to air resistance?)
within the first few seconds of powered ascent?

The velocity curve in this paper would suggest it did. If not that, then
I can explain it only if they gimbaled the engines in an anti-rotational
direction for a short time. And if so, can someone explain why?

Dave