Old August 5th 09, 04:11 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jud McCranie[_2_]

Default Speed of Saturn V at first staging?

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 22:57:25 -0400, David Spain
wrote:

I would have assumed when 'downrange' velocity numbers are used, the reference
point would be the launch point with an initial velocity of 0, not guidance
numbers that have to take into account Earth's rotational velocity. Is that
not a correct assumption?

I didn't know which way it was. I calculated 406 m/s for the Earth's
rotation at that latitude (28.5 degrees) and when I read the initial
speed off the graph, I got about 405. Interestingly, it drops for a
few seconds after liftoff.
--
Replace you know what by j to email