Old October 10th 12, 03:43 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Thorn[_2_]

Default Dragon - Why only 1001 pounds of cargo going up?

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 17:27:49 -0400, JF Mezei
wrote:

On 12-10-08 14:38, Jeff Findley wrote:

Considering the same launch carried Orbcomm?s O2G-1 communications
satellite (313 lb), I'd say it's lightly loaded.

Is it possible that when you combine Progress, ATV, HTV and now Dragon,
there is more uplift capacity than needed ?

No, they're barely breaking even in comparison to Shuttle.
Shuttle was intended to make four flights to the Station each year,
each flight delivering about 15,000 lbs, or 60,000 lbs. per year.

Dragon's payload is to be 7,000 lbs. once fully operational, Cygnus is
to be 6,000 lbs. so we're looking at something like five flights of
each per year to replace Shuttle.

Progress, ATV and HTV were to be flying anyway, so they are not
Shuttle replacements.

Brian