Old December 10th 04, 05:17 AM

Hello Dale,

Thanks for the diagrams. I think they will be helpful. In particular, the first
looks like I can pull some dimensions off of it and hopefully build a frame that
is reasonably correct.

Nice pictures of the Seattle rover. I'm going to be in Oregon for a month or so
-- I'll have to see if I can get a chance to drive up to Seattle and visit the
museum.

Does anyone have any contact info (email address) for someone at Boeing who
might be able to help with documentation ? I see that the Boeing website has a
historical section, but I don't see any obvious contact information.

Scott

In article , Dale says...

On 6 Dec 2004 09:32:28 -0800, wrote:

Hello Rusty,

Thanks for the pointer. I've looked through the handbook, but unfortunately, the
diagrams just aren't as detailed as I had hoped. What I really need most of all
is an engineering diagram of the frame, so I can get the dimensions accurate,
and then some good pictures or diagrams of the suspension. I think if I could
get the frame and suspension right, the rest of the LRV wouldn't be too
difficult to build from that point.

Hi Scott,
I'm not Rusty, and Supernews isn't receiving any new posts at the moment,
but I think I can still send stuff out to the outside world, and maybe this will
help a little bit...

Most of the diagrams in the handbook are of the 1-G trainer. The later chapters,
showing it folded up and stowed on the LM, are presumably of the flight
articles.
My pictures are pretty useless to you, I'm afraid, because they don't show much
of the frame/suspension at all. There's a resin model kit available that might
help you somewhat, although scaling it up to full size will obviously lead to
inaccuracies. If you want the actual construction drawings, I suspect you'll
have to ask Boeing or NASA for help. I'm not sure what sort of archival
collection
the Museum of Flight in Seattle has, but it is sort of a "Boeing Museum". You
could ask them as well.

Related to the resin model kit, I ran across these drawings on the web-

A 3/8"=1' three-view plus details:
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/model...w/lrvdrwng.gif

A NASA "exploded" drawing:
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/model...iew/nasa4.html

Good luck,
Dale

BTW, someone on this group years ago was doing similar research into
building a full-scale Mercury capsule (made of wood). Whatever became
of that- anybody know?