Old June 3rd 13, 09:11 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Jos Bergervoet

Default WIMPS?

On 6/3/2013 7:10 AM, Robert L. Oldershaw wrote:
On Friday, May 31, 2013 2:03:51 AM UTC-4, Richard D. Saam wrote:

There are no (within 95% CL)
WIMP annihilation cross sections and decay lifetimes
as measured by FERMI LAT that could contribute to dark matter.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1305.5597

In light of Helbig's reaction,

NB: Philip commented: (why doesn't Robert quote this?)
"Note that this says nothing about the viability of WIMPs as dark
matter. It could be that they neither annihilate nor decay."

I am left wondering if "WIMPs" are completely unfalsifiable
since it appears that any failed prediction can be rationalized
away ...

You have to discern between (1) the *existence* of WIMPS,
which can of course not be falsified by not observing
them and (2) WIMPS being the main components of dark
matter, which *can* be falsified simply by finding what
it is made of instead. Pure logic answers your question!

... in the Helbig manner. Note that Helbig is hardly the sole
practitioner of this type of reasoning

Not surprising. As I said, it's pure logic.

--
Jos