Old December 12th 04, 05:02 PM
Brad Guth

Now now Derek Lyons,
According to the NASA/Apollo bible, absolutely nothing gets the least
bit fried going through the Van Allen zone of death. Actually a good
amount of ISS electronics and other applied technology should survive
better off than anything Apollo, as many of the ISS compartments are
certainly with improved circuitry as well as shielding.

Of course, after a good heavy-duty foil wrap and chances are that only
a few items will bite the dust. However, many satellites survive as
situated well within some of the worse expanse of those nasty radiation
zones, while others are dying off left and right due to either too much
rads or just from being impacted by whatever's coming along.

Even at 300 tonnes, the sorts of SBRs that could be ductaped to ISS and
of others utilized again for breaking as arriving into the sweet-spot
of ME-L1 is doable. Then if there's anything left of ISS as to call
home, we send our astronauts having the most death wish off for an
extended stay, or perhaps we send terminal cancer patients having
nothing to lose that might actually benefit from such prolonged
exposures.

Revision; "I don't know of any benefit in doing this"

Don't ask why, just share some positive notions as to how this can be
accomplished, as I'm sure there's got to be some remote benefit that
would come to light once you honestly gave it two seconds worth of
thought. Such as claiming this one and only nifty spot for establishing
the LSE-CM/ISS, as establishing all rights for whatever the future has
to offer as an Earth/moon interface and upon providing the one and only
nearby gateway to other worlds. I could share a rather substantial list
of dozens of other can-do and must-do attributes and considerations
associated with establishing this one and only location.

How much applied energy as for getting ISS away from Earth?

As otherwise, with the rapidly collapsing magnetosphere and the
uncertainty of future shuttle capability, what the heck do we have to
lose?

Regards, Brad GUTH / GASA~IEIS http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-topics.htm