Old December 11th 04, 02:01 PM
Brad Guth

Relocation of ISS to ME-L1 (part 4a)

Somewhat of an improved estimate in order to park ISS into such a nifty
location as offered by this sweet-spot of tidal forces being our mutual
gravity-well zone of ME-L1. At least until I'm informed otherwise, I
tend to believe this is not such an insurmountable task.

Of eventually adding the anchor and subsequent tether by way of
deploying a Javelin Probe with the initial wire/tether associated so
that this penetration probe arrives at perhaps as great as 1000 m/s is
about all it'll take for the composite basalt/silica tether to being
utilized by the ISS for accommodating those gradual though complex
fluctuations in tidal and related Earth/moon gravity forces.

If I even understand this correctly, at dealing with a 5.5% orbital
eccentricity we're having to compensate for 21,142 km that's
transpiring within every 27.3 days, which represents a linear travel
rate of nearly 9 m/s;

21.142e6 m / 2.360621e6 sec. km = 8.956 m/s

Thus upon arriving towards the outgoing sweet-spot at not much greater
than 10 m/s should enable the least amount of retro-breaking, since the
moon is in the receding mode at making nearly 9 m/s, which gets the
differential of our having to parallel park ISS down to roughly 1 m/s.

As for roughly stopping a 275 tonne item that's still managing a
differential headway of essentially 1 m/s is going to take an equal
amount of opposing force, such as .275 tonnes of force applied for 1000
seconds, or .0275 tonnes sustained for 10,000 seconds (2.78 hours), of
which I believe that's something like having to apply 27.5e3 Joules
continuously for 2.78 hours, and I'm not exactly sure of what sort of
rocket engine could sustain that amount of thrust without melting down
in the process.

Of course since everything is still well secured, a few small SRBs
could do the trick of essentially stopping ISS dead in it's tracks,
accomplishing this within as little as 100 seconds of applying 2.75
tones of thrust, and I believe those sorts of extended burn SBRs should
be right off the shelf, and relatively compact at that. As then the
existing thrusters of conventional rocket fuel could manage whatever's
left over, managing the necessary maneuverings for station-keeping
mode.

Within days and preferably during an opportunity of earthshine, the
crew should arrive for unwrapping ISS and getting everything back
online. Although it would have been nice having the shuttle available
for this task, I'm certain that between the Russians and Chinese folks
should be capable of delivering ISS to the ME-L1, plus delivering this
fearless crew, as after all, other than the discomfort and TBI worth of
a much greater commute there's not all that much greater energy demand
for accomplishing that phase of commissioning ISS with multiple crew
members and subsequently reactivating ISS.

Of course, since I'm basically on a need to know basis, thereby if I'm
in error of understanding some of this, or simply being incorrect in my
math, please do suggest your calculations that are more correct, as
I'll give full credit for anyone offering such a positive contribution
instead of the usual all-knowing flak of intentionally bashing this or
any other idea that's outside the mainstream box.

Regards, Brad GUTH / GASA~IEIS
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm