Old October 3rd 06, 12:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.tv.star-trek.tos,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly
Bob Kolker

Default Worthy of survival

Steven L. wrote:

If Mars also turns out to be lifeless, it will be hard to get Americans
excited even about sending humans there. Ironically, science fiction
has raised the bar for the average American: Alien life is now almost
taken for granted, and that's what I think that most folks to hear
about: Where are the alien life forms?

Nowhere nearby. Almost certainly not in our solar system. But that is
not sufficient reason not to go exploring. They may be other more
relevent issues such as costs and payback.

The Spaniards (for example) did not go a-sailing over the main just to
see what was on the Other Side. They had gold and converts to
Catholicism in mind. Those were the coins of their realm. The itch to
travel and explore may be motivated the captains and crews, but it was
potential profit and plunder that motivated the monarchs to fund them.

If the tax payers are going to be mugged to fund space explorations they
have every right to asked about the rewards and payback.

Bob Kolker