Old June 5th 06, 06:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,melb.general

Default Bright blue light observed in night sky

Frackshat skrev:

Snip

The colour of the flash I would describe as not a natural colour. That
is not to say that this was not a natural phenomenon, but the colour
was not like any other you usually associate with the sky - it was not
the blue of the sky, lightning or stars. It was darkish, yet very
bright. Not dark blue, but tending more towards dark than light blue.
Perhaps a bit like a luminescent ocean blue.

There is a fenomenon that pilots sometimes see. I can't recall the
name, but it is blue, and a related fenomenon to red spites.

It is occuring in the high atmosphere, and has to do with thunderstorms
underneath..

Regards

Carsten Nielsen
Denmark