Old November 6th 03, 03:08 AM
Keith F. Lynch

Default Operating systems used in spacecraft?

Michael J Wise wrote:
3) Redundant CPUs, one of which is running a different operating
system, so if the other two get frotzed by Yet Another Windows
Exploit in deep space, the Penguin can Save The Day. Or the Mac,
as the case may be.

Henry Spencer wrote:
Only if the Windows machine(s) haven't already fired the pyros, left
the gas valves open, pointed the camera at the Sun, etc.

Doesn't the Shuttle have three computers all running in parallel, with
majority vote ruling? That sounds like a good system. Two machines
would have to have the same bug for anything to go wrong.

Of course bugs in the *specification* from which the three programs
were all independently written are possible.
--
Keith F. Lynch - - http://keithlynch.net/
I always welcome replies to my e-mail, postings, and web pages, but