Old November 7th 03, 05:49 PM
Jim Easterbrook

Default Surplus Shed 38mm Erfle eyepiece focal length error?

In article ,
says...
He told me, without naming any names, measure any of his
eyepieces,a nd you will see his measurements are exact and true.

Then he told me to accurately measure other brands, exactly,
and see if the reported focal lenght is accurate.

You see, if you are out even a wee bit, your claims for apparent feild
of view are out too.

Isn't that an incentive to quote a longer focal length though? E.g. you
measure a true field of view that suggests your EP is either a 32mm 60
degree or a 38mm 50 degree. I know which I'd rather buy.

So do not be too surpized, but it is worthy point to note.

There is a shortage of impartial and objective data out there. I don't
claim any great accuracy for my measurements and I'd hate to become a
definitive reference. Cloudy nights reviews are very useful and
informative, but there isn't much repeatable objective measurement
there.

OTOH, we use our scopes not as objective measuring instruments but to
enjoy subjectively the beauty of the skies. Perhaps that's how equipment
should be judged.
--
Jim Easterbrook http://www.easter.mersinet.co.uk/