Old April 23rd 18, 12:37 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default Space X 2nd stage recovery

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

says...

On 2018-04-17 20:05, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

https://www.space.com/40313-spacex-r...y-balloon.html

By "party balloon" are we talking helium or Hydrogen filled balloons
that will "lift" the stage to slow its descent? (and I assume provide
drag initially).

I'm guessing nitrogen myself. I don't think lift is nearly as important
at
this point is as drag over as large a surface area as you can manage.

I heard helium, because while lift isn't important, mass most certainly
is. And at the same volume and pressure, helium masses less than
nitrogen. The mass of the molecule doesn't enter into the ideal gas
law:

P*V = N*R*T

Jeff

Fair point. And I believe they already have helium tanks on board, just use
those as part of the supply.